In contrast to my past couple posts, in which I complained/ranted about everything wrong with the world/life/worldviews, here’s a list of things that I do (or think I do) believe. It can/may/will change over time; I may even annotate those changes here. But for now, this is what I believe.
- that I exist. As a baseline, everything following follows the assumption that I exist and that I can and do know I exist. And at least for now, it doesn’t matter how I got to that conclusion.
- in objective truths. Even if these extend only to mathematical (and perhaps scientific) data, they exist.
- in something Eternal. (God?)
- in linear time. (Consider previous statement.)
- in absolute morality. Regardless of what people say, there are absolute moral/ethical values. We may like to deny this concept, but really, we only want to deny it when it’s applied to us–we like it when other people adhere to standards of absolute morality. Perhaps it’s based in the “something eternal”, or perhaps it’s based on some inherent quality developed in humanity.
- in the inability of humans to be good (to superimpose my Calvinist heritage, human depravity). Two reasons: one, you can see it plainly; two, if an absolute moral code exists, it exists for a reason. And, by the way, I do not believe that man is in a state of continuous “improvement”.
- in the ability of humans to do good. I include this in contrast to the previous, since I am inclined to forget this. I think it’s impossible, and then someone surprises me (it shouldn’t be a surprise, yet so often it is.)
Comments, criticism, etc. welcome. Just don’t expect me to answer (I may…I may not), and try not to insult (note, I didn’t say “offend”) anybody while you’re at it.